J Dilla’s Seminal “Welcome 2 Detroit” Gets Remastered Reissue
Written by Vocalo Radio on January 15, 2021
Welcome 2 Detroit is back with a special remaster and boxset of alternate takes and previously-unreleased material celebrating the life of J Dilla.
The 2001 release of Welcome 2 Detroit marked a critical turning point for producer James Dewitt Yancey and the underground Detroit hip-hop scene. Now given full creative control, and adopting the alias J Dilla, Welcome 2 Detroit is a producer-driven lyrical work of art, turning heads toward not only the Detroit scene but J Dilla’s own talent.
Ahead of the album’s 20th anniversary, BBE Music will release a specially remastered reissue of Welcome 2 Detroit, along with remixes from DJ/producer Muro and jazz-funk trio Azymuth. The 20th anniversary edition will also include newly discovered alternate takes and work-in-progress tapes from the original recording sessions. An accompanying book recounts first-hand accounts of the recording process and dives into the history of the album’s making.
More from Vocalo:
- Entrevista con Son Rompe Pera: el regreso a Chicago para presentar ‘Chimborazo’ en Park West
- WBEZ Investigation Reveals Illinois Traffic Stop Disparities
- The Reel Critic Puts A Spotlight On ‘The Super Models’
- Octavia Reese Creates Work At The Intersection of Art And Technology
- Raequan Scott Finds Joy In Not Fitting In