The Reel Critic Reviews ‘Emancipation’
Written by Vocalo Radio on January 4, 2023
Reggie “The Reel Critic” Ponder reviews Emancipation, starring Will Smith and directed by Antoine Fuqua.
Inspired by a true story, Emancipation follows Peter Smith, an enslaved man played by Will Smith, fleeing a plantation in Louisiana. Through Peter’s story, director Antoine Fuqua takes an introspective look into how religion was used by enslaved Africans to center hope in their lives.
In a December interview with The British Blacklist, Fuqua said the film is “my love letter to us.” Fuqua does not shy away from delivering an uncensored look into the lives of the enslaved, but balances the film with Peter Smith’s fight to become his own hero. Emancipation was originally released on December 9, and is currently in theaters and streaming on AppleTV+
“The Reel Critic” is hosted and produced by Reggie Ponder
Introduction written by Joshua X. Miller
More from Vocalo:
- Remembering The “Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll”: Tina Turner In Song
- Empowering Youth Through Art: The Simple Good’s Journey of Positivity and Transformation
- The Reel Critic Goes Under The Sea With ‘The Little Mermaid’
- Daisy Zamora Takes Healing Into Her Own Hands
- Mayoush Is Chicago’s Rising “Lebanese Soul Diva”