Vocalo Throwback: Charlie Coffeen Presents: J Dilla’s ‘Donuts’ Live
Written by Vocalo Radio on June 18, 2021
Charlie Coffeen is a prolific composer and keyboardist, perhaps best known for his work with Chicago group Sidewalk Chalk. A few years back, Charlie put together an ensemble to pay live tribute to one of his greatest influences – the legendary producer J Dilla.
The ensemble performs his most iconic album “Donuts” start to finish. Back in 2018, Charlie brought his 12-piece orchestra to our studio to play some of those songs live.
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the iconic album Slum Village’s Fantastic, Vol. 2 (a breakthrough Dilla production), we thought we’d revisit this 2018 performance.
Hear the entire radio broadcast featuring performances and an interview hosted by Jesse Menendez here:
And you can also check out video of their performance of Dilla’s classic “Stop” below:
More From Vocalo:
- Remembering The “Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll”: Tina Turner In Song
- Empowering Youth Through Art: The Simple Good’s Journey of Positivity and Transformation
- The Reel Critic Goes Under The Sea With ‘The Little Mermaid’
- Daisy Zamora Takes Healing Into Her Own Hands
- Mayoush Is Chicago’s Rising “Lebanese Soul Diva”
Tagged as chicago chicago music Hip Hop vocalo